Looking to experience the breathtaking natural wonder of Niagara Falls? Whether you are planning a weekend getaway or a long-awaited family vacation, you should know which airport is your best bet for easy access to this must-visit destination. Fortunately, the several nearest airports to Niagara Falls offer a range of flight options and travel times to suit your schedule.
This blog will take you through the nearest airports to Niagara Falls, including their amenities, terminals, and facilities, and tips for navigating these bustling airports.
Buffalo Niagara International Airport
Location: The airport is located 18 kilometers east of Downtown Buffalo and 97 kilometers from Toronto.
Number of Terminals: There is only 1 terminal in the Buffalo Niagara International Airport.
IATA Code: BUF
Contact: +1 716 630 6000
First opened in 1926, the Buffalo Niagara International Airport is the third-busiest in New York. The airport is larger than Niagara Falls International Airport as it serves a broader area and has more airlines. Major airlines like Delta, American Airlines, and Southwest also serve this airport.
The airport offers many facilities and amenities, including shopping opportunities, car rentals, convenient parking, custom facility, and dining areas. It is also popular among Canadian citizens, with residents of the Golden Horseshoe region using it regularly.
There is only one terminal at the Buffalo Niagara International Airport. After the recent expansions and renovation in 2021, there are 24 gates at the terminal.
Traveling Into the City
The airport serves Buffalo, New York, and Niagara Falls in the United States and the Golden Horseshoe region of Canada. There are several ways of traveling from the airport to these places.
- Rental Cars: Many popular car rental companies like Alamo, Avis, Enterprise, National, and Budget provide rental cars at the airport.
- Bus: The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) operates public buses from the airport on routes 24B, 68, and 204. Megabus and Greyhound Bus Lines also provide services to connect the airport to New York City and Toronto.
- Ride Shares: People using ride-share apps like Uber and Lyft can find their rides after exiting the terminals through the door close to the baggage claim area carousel 1.
- Taxis: Limos and shuttle bus services are also available outside the terminal.
The Buffalo Niagara International Airport parking is located steps away from the terminal. There are many options available to travelers for utilizing the parking space. Hourly parking rates can vary from $1.25 to $5, depending on the parking lot and type of parking space.
This nearest airport to Niagara Falls offers plenty of facilities and amenities for travelers’ enjoyment. Here are some of them.
- Many dining areas are located at the airport. Some available restaurants and cafes include Anchor Bar, Blue Zone, Tim Horton, Bocce Pizza, Elmwood Market, and Queen City Kitchen.
- The airport also features several shops for the amusement of travelers. These include Fifth & Main, JetSet East, and JetSet West.
- Other amenities available here are baggage service offices, a barber shop, a meet and greet area, SmarteCarte, and much more.
- A pet relief area is located outside the lower-level arrivals.
- An information desk is available at the lower level across the baggage claim.
- The airport provides free Wi-Fi access to travelers.
Niagara Falls International Airport
Location: The airport is located 6.4 kilometers east of downtown Niagara Falls.
Number of Terminals: There is only one terminal in the airport.
IATA Code: IAG
Contact: +1 716 297 4494
Niagara Falls International Airport is a small airport located in Niagara, New York, just 6.4 kilometers from the famous Niagara Falls. This nearest airport to Niagara Falls is a joint civil-military airfield primarily serving the Niagara Falls region.
The airport offers flights by some low-cost carriers, including Spirit Airlines, Allegiant, etc. The primary destinations are Fort Lauderdale and Myrtle Beach. While small, the airport offers plenty of services and is well-known for its easily accessible, convenient, and friendly location.
There is only one terminal at the Niagara Falls International Airport. Opened in 2009, the new terminal is spread over 69,430 square feet. The terminal consists of four gates, including two ground-loading and two jetways.
Traveling Into the City
There are several ways to travel to Niagara Falls or the nearby towns from the airport. The airport offers ground transportation, including rental cars, taxis, and bus services.
- Rental Cars: Companies like Alamo, Enterprise, Boulevard Van City, and Hertz provide rental cars at the location. Enterprise and Hertz also offer wheelchair-accessible vans. Limos and shuttle bus services are also available.
- Bus: Bus and rail service is also available at the airport. The Niagara Frontier Transportation Authority (NFTA) operates public buses from the airport to nearby destinations.
- Ride Shares: If you have used ride-share apps like Uber and Lyft for pick-up, you can find your ride by exiting the terminal and following the signs to parking lot 2.
- Taxis: Taxis are also available right outside the terminal. The fare to downtown Niagara Falls typically varies between $15-25.
The airport provides convenient parking facilities with easy access to the terminal. The parking fee for a day is $13 and capped at $78 for a week. Two electric car charging stations are also located in parking lot 1 for the convenience of the people.
The airport also has a cell phone lot for people waiting to pick up a passenger. The parking spaces there allow two hours of free parking.
The Niagara Falls International Airport may be small; however, it offers several facilities that make it comfortable for traveling passengers. Some of the facilities are as follows:
- The airport has three vending machines on the ground floor of the terminal. These are located before security checkpoints, and visitors can get options like snacks, coffee, water, and soda.
- A food concession is available at the terminal. It provides many food and beverage items, including beer, sandwiches, coffee, home-style pizza, pastries, soups, etc.
- Free Wi-Fi is also available inside the terminal for the convenience of the passengers.
- An animal relief area is located outside the terminal.
- The airport is fully accessible for differently-abled travelers and offers wheelchair assistance, accessible restrooms, etc.
- An ATM is also present inside the ticket lobby, close to the baggage claim area.
The Bottom Line
The nearest airports to Niagara Falls include Buffalo Niagara International Airport and Niagara Falls International Airport. Depending on your budget, travel itinerary, and preferences, you can choose the best airport that suits your needs. With various ground transportation options, facilities, and services available at the airports, you can enjoy a seamless travel experience.